[TowerTalk] A "good deal"

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:40:50 EST

  In regard to W7LXC's recommendation of using Sliver Solder on a quads
twisted wire joints rather than regular solder and to not using Flee Market
Aluminum Solder on yagi tubing joints as I have SUCCESSFULLY DONE A 5 YEAR
LONGEVITY TEST ON and all the other comments--I have these comments.
   I think Silver Solder (SS) is great if you can find a low temperature one.
The reference Silver Bearing Solder I got from Radio Shack came without any
flux.  It don't stick. Unless there is a flux for it, forget it.  Does anyone
know a better one?  However for a twisted wire quad joint, I have yet to see
a twist wire joint under great stress soldered with normal solder ever fail
in 64 years. I see no need for SS on a quad zero resistance joint--the only
one each quad element has.  As a result Quads have ZERO ELECTRICAL
DETERIORATION OF PERFORMANCE WITH ENAMELED OR COVERED WIRE. Yagi's can't say
that. Yagi construction needs lots of joints that can turn into resistors and
capacitors sooner or later--almost regardless what you use.
    The best stuff I know about is called Anti-Seize with Aluminum in it and
it's gray.  This has been very well tested.  Rai-Beam supplies it with their
beams and it's costly.  Longevity was built into this yagi throughout.  The
Rai-Beam 2 element yagi and a properly designed 2 element quad are what I
call the "K7GCO New Standard of Beam Performance". To equal or beat them, you
have to go to a boom 2-3 times longer and 2-3 more elements to justify the
cost which starts to rise exponentially.  The dB or 2 you might get will cost
you about $1-5000 or more depending on the band. The higher the gain the
higher it must be mounted to fully realize it's full performance.
    I carefully pointed out that I solved this multiple joint problem with a
Flea Market Solder needing only a Berns-MaticTorch.  It has survived 5 years
and it still looks great and tests "ZERO" resistance.  What more can one ask?

    In regard to manufacturers not recommending this, that would admit there
is a problem that they don't want you to know about or don't know themselves
how bad it can get. Take you pick.  Even if the outside tubing is .058" wall
(or less), I oblong the inside tubing end or wrap tape around it to reduce or
eliminate any movement that would stress the solder joint or even a clamp
joint.  I explained how I soldered it and it's passed the test of 5 years.
    There were comments of using regular solders to aluminum joints that
don't stick.  I soldered with a Berns-Matic Torch and Aluminum Solder that so
far as I know didn't weaken the tubing.  I added a short length of a
mechanically secured small piece of thin tubing inside the joint near the end
of the element inside just to be on the safe side in case of a lowered
temper.  If there is evidence it works and solves a major problem--don't
knock it unless you can prove it wrong.  I never ever recommend anything that
I would bet money on and have not lost a bet.
    I didn't add any rivets as I wanted to test its longevity without them.
That's not a bad idea to secure the element while soldering.  If pop rivets
are used, be sure to use the ones with an aluminum nail in them. Rivets are
just another thing quad users don't have to worry about along with stripped
self taping screws and the Alumitoid Yagititis powder that forms around them.
    There was one yagi 3 element design that had some 50 joints in it in an
Antenna Software sample program.  It probably took a week to put it in there.
 Few individuals would have all this different diameter tubing--I do. This
design required 50 SS clamps at considerable expense.  For each SS Clamp
there are 2 RF connections--one on each side.  There are 150 press fit
connections with 100 of being dissimilar metals.  A quad only has the
feedline connections that should be coated.  Unless the clamp and tubing is
coated there will be pits under it in time.  I have great pictures of such a
problem.  I plan to get them scanned for a web site.  This design is the ALL
TIME 5 WORST DUMMITY DESIGNS I HAVE EVER SEEN.
    Reflectors like this serve a useful purpose for tower and antenna
problems.  I've seen many clever fixes and I read them all.  When antenna
systems have nothing but problems with no end in sight, it's time to look at
other systems with known and proven performance and longevity concepts. They
don't require a Reflector for nonexistent problems.  All this joint compound
coverage is of no interest to quad owners.  We laugh at it and all the other
performance compromise problems with big HO HO HO's.
    I've repeated the original solder suggestions below with an updated
version to make sure everyone understands what was said and.why it solves a
long time problem of every yagi.  So far no useful corrections or suggestions
have been made and I welcome them all the time.
<<
  True 'dat.  Washington, DC HD's have unadvertised, unmarked specials of
  NOALOX: normally $7.50, priced down to $5.15 for 8 oz. bottle w/applicator.
  73 de Gene Smar  AD3F
 In a message dated 27.01.00 00:46:23 Pacific Standard Time, K7GCO@aol.com