[TowerTalk] A "good deal"

K4SB k4sb@mindspring.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:26:04 +0000

Regarding the claims on the RAI antenna, I don't think the
problem is an individual merely repeating what he has heard or
said.

The problem is with the gains claimed with this company by the
manufacturer. That is the "ridiculous" part. The design is a
piece of junk.

I'd like to believe it too, in which case I would stack several
of the things.
But the truth of the matter is that we tend to "want" ( and I'm
included ) some
miraculous new antenna ( something of the order of a full size 2
meter beam which will give 20 db gain on 80 would be at the top
of my list ), but the simple truth is there isn't such an animal.

And RAI isn't the only one. One Quad manufacturer claims about 14
DB! of gain with a 4 element quad by using 2 DEs. And I
personally find the claimed gain of the X9 equally irresponsible.
Others don't come to mind, but be assured, they are there.

But let's not be so quick to chastise someone for "believing"
something. All of
us at one time in our ham life are going to fall for it. I know I
have....

73
Ed