[TowerTalk] Raibeams & "Supergain"

Darrel J. Van Buer vanbuerd@mediaone.net
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:15:29 -0800

wa4dou@juno.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>   I've seen the ads in QST for the Raibeam RB-36x, Triband yagi. I also
> noted the use of the
> word "Supergain" frequently. Some new phenomonon? Or is "Supergain" just
> another
> example of  modern day razzle dazzle?

The rule-of-thumb relationship between gain and Yagi boomlength only applies to antennas with one driven element elements and a collection of parasitic elements.  An antenna with active drive of multiple elements controlling power and phase CAN exceed this performance.  The Raibeam 2 element antennas are obviously driving both elements with a delay-line controlled phase shift.

However, since I have no direct experience with the Raibeam, I won't claim they have suceeded or not (after all, you can also approach 0 dBi with the right amplitude and phase).

--
Darrel J. Van Buer, AK6I
vanbuerd@mediaone.net