[TowerTalk] Fixed Quads

KI7WX@aol.com KI7WX@aol.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 10:11:57 EST

For folks interested in wire antennas and using natural supports, I could use
a bit of advice.

In preparation for the upcoming contest events I'm looking at erecting some
fixed quad loop "beams".  The loops will be hung from a catenary line running
(length wise) NE/SW -> e.g. Europe.  I have about 50 feet of length to play
with and the height measures out at 85 feet above ground.  That's pretty
spiffy as it'll place the center of 20M diamond shaped loops at around 1
wavelength and 40M about 1/2 wavelength which should be decent for both
bands.  It will get higher with time as the trees grow .... ..

With that setting, I want to suspend loops for both 40 and 20M from this
line.  Looking at a driven element and reflector with ~20' spacing for 40M
and probably 4L on 20M using 10 feet between elements (30' total).  Two
questions for the group:

(1) Does shape of the loop matter much?  From my reading it appears that
cubes (diamonds) are credited with very slightly more gain than equilateral
triangles.  I'll probably do the pragmatic thing and use what ever shape is
easiest, but curious what experience teaches here. It probably doesn't matter
except on paper.

(2) For rotatable quads it's obviously possible to build multiband arrays by
nesting the loops for higher bands within the loops for the lower bands.
It's not immediately obvious to me why interaction is not a problem, but I
accept the results.  For my situation, erecting "nested" elements will not be
too practical and would likely result in a twisted mass of wire and much
frustration.

Taking a page from the yagi book, I have pondered "interlacing" the elements
to take better advantage of the available catenary length.  For example, the
40M outer elements could surround the 20M elements to give a larger spacing
on 40. Alternatively I could add a couple 10M loops inside of the 40M loops.
Stuff like that.  Has anyone played with this type of arrangement that can
offer practical advice?

Cheers,

Mark
KI7WX/4