[TowerTalk] Birds

Ed - K0iL K0IL <k0il@arrl.net>
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:10:31 -0500

On Tuesday, 11 July, 2000 7:08 AM, Jim Idelson [SMTP:k1ir@designet.com]
wrote:
> The Boston Globe had front page story on the bird/tower study. The
article made
> it clear that the problem is associated only with LIGHTED towers.
Apparently,
> these bird disasters occur at night, only near lighted towers. The
article goes
> on to explain that the birds' navigation systems attract them to lights
when
> flying at night. The study seems to indicate that towers lighted with
> continuously glowing red lights are particularly attractive to the birds.
The
> Globe suggested that a solution might be to use more white strobe lights
> instead of the red incandescent lights, since it appears that the strobes
are
> less attractive to the birds.

I beleive strobes are only allowed during the day for most towers since
nearby residents would be upset with that bright flashing all night long.
 The strobes are a lot brighter than the red blinkers.

> Please be careful in your responses to these kinds of studies. We need to
> listen carefully to research that is well-designed - even if it works
against
> our objectives in some ways.

I'd agree if it we're indeed a "well designed" study, but I really don't
think that's the case here.  Like the one fella said, kitty cats kill far
more birds than towers probably because theirs more of them.  I'll bet
cities and human civilization in general cause a great deal of death to the
animal kingdom so should we dismantle our civilization for their benefit?
 I think not!  Let's be sensible, not rediculous.

73,
de ed -K0iL
Read Science Under Siege
 to really understand environ-mentalists.