[TowerTalk] 25G vs 45G

John Langdon jlangdon@outer.net
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:49:07 -0500

Some additional factors:

1. 45G is stiffer than 25G and moves less.
2. 45G is much easier on the feet and much more comfortable to climb
3. 45G resale is extremely good, very easy to sell for large % of
acquisition cost

73 John N5CQ

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]On Behalf Of J.P.
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 7:39 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 25G vs 45G

Greetings:

> I am getting ready to put up my first "real" tower. I am trying to decide
> between Rohn 25G and 45G. On the Rohn website, the windload specs for 25
and
> 45 are virtually the same at 80 feet. Is this true? How can this be
correct?

If you look closer at the Rohn book, the 45G spec shows an additional 8 SQ
feet
already factored into the allowable load rating for antenna standoff's at
the
top.  Presumably, these would be for a commercial tower, where you would
have several (Rohn specs 3) of these at the top to mount VHF/UHF sticks
or what have you.

In the ham calculation, you can add these 8 SQ feet to the allowable wind
load,
and then you see that 45G is much stronger than 25G at any wind speed.

73, J.P. W2XX