[TowerTalk] Re:Tower Bird Strikes "Proven"

Tim Duffy tduffy@sygnet.com
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:06:28 -0500

I really would like detailed information on any "substantial" bird kills due
to the birds running into towers and then dropping dead at the bottom of the
tower.

I have been a part of these "bird kill" studies on commercial towers that have
daytime white strobes and red strobes (a lens comes over the white strobe) at
night and are greater than 200 ft in height. In every case, (60 day study) no
dead birds were found.

I have worked in broadcast and wireless for over 24 years, my current company
has antennas on over 1000 towers in 18 states. I have yet to hear about or see
1 dead bird.

Whenever the the tower bird kill issue comes up at a tower zoning hearing I
ask what effect tall office buildings with windows have (lots of lights on
these structures) on birds. Most people can deduce that the buildings would
have a much greater threat to the birds than a tower...

73,
Tim K3LR