[TowerTalk] Re:Tower Bird Strikes "Proven"

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 05:41:11 -0400

Hi Tim,

> I really would like detailed information on any "substantial" bird kills
> due to the birds running into towers and then dropping dead at the bottom
> of the tower.

So would I.

> I have worked in broadcast and wireless for over 24 years, my current
> company has antennas on over 1000 towers in 18 states. I have yet to hear
> about or see 1 dead bird.

I've worked with tall towers for about 30 years, and I've seen at
least 5 dead birds near towers.

As recently as the last year, below my 300 foot tower (with dozens
of #12 and smaller copperweld wires, strings, and ropes stretched
out for hundreds and hundreds of feet and of course many guy
lines) I've seen one dead bird. It was a wild turkey chick.

Being in rural Georgia, there are Redtail Hawks, Turkey Buzzards,
Geese (they fly by twice a day, on their way to and from a pond out
back) and hundreds of other birds who frequent the area on a daily
basis.

I've rarely seen dead birds under or around tall towers, although I've
seen a few birdbrains lying near towers.

> Whenever the the tower bird kill issue comes up at a tower zoning hearing
> I ask what effect tall office buildings with windows have (lots of lights
> on these structures) on birds. Most people can deduce that the buildings
> would have a much greater threat to the birds than a tower...

But sooner or later someone somewhere will be the only person
who has a study showing how bad the problem is. Like cellular
damage caused by non-ionizing radiation, or UFO abductions.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com