[TowerTalk] Patentability

Norman Hockler norsan@bright.net
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:07:11 -0400

Gents,

As one who has a number of patents I can assure you that you cant get a
patent on "anything" and that the process is time consuming and expensive.

There are two kinds of patents... A design patent which is easy to get
since it patents the LOOKS of something...the shape, color, etc.  Like the
shape of a car, or a toilet seat.

There is also the more desired conceptual patent which is what most people
think of when the term patent is discussed.  This patent is granted for a
discovery of technique, or a combination of existing art that results in a
new capability or feature.  I can assure you that for these applications
prior art is examined  in detail and unless you have discovered a new law
of physics you first application will automatically be rejected.

I have been through this process many times.  If someone would like to
discuss this please feel free to contract me direct.

de Norm  N8NH  (ex N8RGR)