[TowerTalk] 45G guy anchors

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 07:19:09 -0600

N4KG answer below.

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000  TheMardster@cs.com writes:

> Thanks to everyone who answered my question about 25G Vs 45G. Of
> course, the  answers were 100% in favor of 45G. So 45G it is...now for
> my next  question.
> Is it okay to use screw-in guy anchors, or must I stick with the
> buried  concrete type?
>
> Thanks for all your help!
>
> Regards,
>
> Marty Ray, N9SE

All 7 of my towers are held by screw in anchors in Alabama clay
(which gets hard as a rock in the summer).  Up to 80 ft., I use
one anchor per direction.  For 90 ft to 140 ft, I use 2 anchors
in each direction, with the first anchor spaced 60 ft holding 3/16
inch guys attached at 30 and 60 ft.  The second anchor is
spaced 80% of the tower height.  The top guys are 1/4 inch.

For my short towers (40 and 55 ft), I used 4 ft long screw anchors
with 4 inch plates.  For the taller towers, I used anchors with
6 inch plates and either 4 or 5 ft shafts.  Galvanized anchors
are best.

Some of these towers have been up for 25 years and all survived
a small tornado that took out dozens of trees in my woods
including a 75 year old Oak and 75 year old Beech 5 years ago
(estimated winds 90 mph).

de  Tom  N4KG

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.