[TowerTalk] Traps and Losses

Michael Tope Michael Tope <w4ef@pacbell.net>
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:10:06 -0700

Guy,

I rigged up a rope and pulley system that allowed me
to drop an antenna element from a height of 30 feet
within a few seconds of having applied 1500 watts.
This would be ideal for testing the self heating hypothesis. If I get some
time, I will put together
my Cushcraft A3 driven element and run this test.

Also, the loss distribution in the typical tribander
will depend on the operating frequency. On ten
meters, one would expect only the inner traps to
play a major role in the overall loss, whereas at
20 meters both the inner and the outer traps will
be active. You also need to consider the current
distribution. On twenty meters, one would expect
the inner traps to be carrying a bit more current
due to the half sinusoid taper in the current
distribution.

P.S. An infrared camera might be a neat tool for
looking at antenna self heating "in situ". I know
this technique is used for measuring heat distribution
in PC boards.