[TowerTalk] Traps and Losses

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:34:01 +0000

If you look 'way back in the Towertalk archives, you'll find some messages
from (I think) K1KP regarding his calorimetric tests of a KT34XA trap.  It
was a homebrew test setup, onvolving a cooler full of water, etc., but
within some margin of error it seemed to indicate that at least for that
trap design very little power was being lost in the trap.

It seems to me more likely that the poor performance of trapped antennas is
due to the compromises in element spacing that result from trying to make
the same three or four physical elements work on multiple bands.  I do
wonder, though, about LB's comment about trap leakage.  It seems as if
leaky traps could result in some fairly severe out of phase radiation
outboard of the traps, degarding the directivity.  Anyone know how to
quantify that?

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at