[TowerTalk] Traps and Losses

Michael Tope Michael Tope <w4ef@pacbell.net>
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:47:56 -0700

FWIW, after rebuilding a KT-34XA, I wanted to do a quick
test just to make sure we hadn't made any gross errors
(shorts where we wanted opens and vice versa). I used
a pulley that my friend Robb had rigged to one of the
towers at W6UE to quickly hoist each element from the
KT-34XA up to around 30' where I could run an SWR test
and then pump a little power from the club's Alpha 78
into the element. After 60 seconds key down at 1000
watts and another minute or so to run outside and lower
the element, I detected no evidence of self heating in
the KT-34XA element. Not a very scientific test, but
neverthless it was some indication to me that the linear
loaded trap system in the KT-34XA was reasonably
efficient in terms of I^2*R losses (the linear loading is
admittedly a great heat spreader).

With the help of a second person, the elapsed time from
transmitter key-up to antenna descent would be reduced
to a few seconds. Although, I still think it would be
neat to get hold of one of those infrared scopes. Seems
like that would be a great tool for efficiency testing
of antennas. If sensitive enough, it would also give some
indication of the RF current distribution along the element
vis-a-vis the I^2*R losses (perhaps an STA could be
obtained from FCC to increase measurement sensitivity with
the help of the appropriate vacuum tube technology).