[TowerTalk] "Bucket Truck" for Tower Work?

Gary and Jane Nieborsky neborsky@ior.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:30:59 -0700

Been there done that!

I used one (125' manlift)  to work on my 110' tower.  Had to repair the 40M
beam....worked great!

Recommendations:

Use a qualified operator from a bonded, insured and REPUTABLE company.
Determine if they provide the body harness or if you'll need to go get one.
Your climbing belt is not adequate to comply with OSHA rules regarding fall
restraint.  If the company says you won't need one then go find another
company...it's a good indicator of bad things to come.

Be 110% sure that heights don't bother you.  These things move around
(bounce, jiggle, sway) and the higher you get the worse it is.  If you're
not comfortable on your tower then you'll be even less comfortable in a
bucket.

Be aware that the truck will leave some sizable dents in your yard.....the
bigger the truck the bigger the dents!

You'll need to get the truck up close to your tower.  An 80' manlift will
need to be right next to the tower in order to provide adequate reach on a
70' tower.

You'll also need to make sure that there is adequate room for the lift arms
to unfold.  Trees and buildings are the biggest nuisance.  The chosen
company should come out and survey the sight beforehand.

Have a big check book......most companies want a 4 hour
minimum.....including drive time.

73 es GL

Gary K7FR