[TowerTalk] "Bucket Truck" for Tower Work?

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:09:32 -0400

> Been there done that!

Me too!

> I used one (125' manlift)  to work on my 110' tower.  Had to repair the
> 40M beam....worked great!

Me too, the truck I used was 135' and looked like an antique. Bald
tires, rust, and all.  Boy, was I worried!

> Recommendations:
>
> Use a qualified operator from a bonded, insured and REPUTABLE company.
> Determine if they provide the body harness or if you'll need to go get
> one. Your climbing belt is not adequate to comply with OSHA rules
> regarding fall restraint.  If the company says you won't need one then go
> find another company...it's a good indicator of bad things to come.

They did make me wear a harness that they supplied.

> Be 110% sure that heights don't bother you.  These things move around
> (bounce, jiggle, sway) and the higher you get the worse it is.  If you're
> not comfortable on your tower then you'll be even less comfortable in a
> bucket.

I hid in the bottom of the bucket until it was at the top!

> Be aware that the truck will leave some sizable dents in your yard.....the
> bigger the truck the bigger the dents!

And your coax, they dented my 7/8' hardline.

> You'll also need to make sure that there is adequate room for the lift
> arms to unfold.  Trees and buildings are the biggest nuisance.  The chosen
> company should come out and survey the sight beforehand.

The truck I used had a telescoping mast. Whatever you do, don't
look at the mast when it is all the way out!

> Have a big check book......most companies want a 4 hour
> minimum.....including drive time.

It was $300 minimum here for a 135 ft boom.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com