[TowerTalk] 5Band antennas

Joe Reisert jreisert@jlc.net
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:19:39 -0400

Mauri,

Don't forget to mention the Hygain TH-11 which covers 5 bands (20, 17, 15,
12 and 10 Meters). It has LPDA driven elements and reflectors without
traps. In fact, it only has 6 single frequency well made low loss traps
only in the directors.

Best of all, the TH-11 (yes, that is what I use) performs very well on all
5 bands (although on 12 meters the gain is down a little since that band is
only an LPDA).

Traps don't have to have high loss. They need the proper construction.
Furthermore, only use ONE resonant circuit in each trap (not the multiband
Mosley type). HyGain had the answer since they used a large diameter coil
form, large diameter copper wire well bonded on the terminations, a space
between the coil winding and the termination, and (a big AND), large
diameter tube over the trap. If you do all this right like HyGain did, the
Q of the trap can be 200 or more and be very low loss.

73,

Joe, W1JR