[TowerTalk] "K" factor gets sillier

wa4dou@juno.com wa4dou@juno.com
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 14:00:56 -0400

Hi Pete and Gang,
  Guess it gets to be quite expensive chasing those little db's. My C3SS
weighs 27 # and 4 ft. of schedule 40 aluminum mast weighs 3.6 #.30.6 # X
turning radius of 13.5= 413. Guess i lucked out. Kurts response to this
subject makes a lot of sense to me. 73 Roy WA4DOU

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 20:50:18 +0000 Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
writes:

> At 01:28 PM 7/21/00 -0700, Stan Griffiths wrote:
> >Hi Pete,
> >
> >My comments are interspersed below:
> >
> >Pete Smith wrote:
> >
> >> Imagine my amusement to discover that Yaesu now defines the K
> factor to
> >> mean the product of the antenna weight and turning radius, PLUS
> the weight
> >> of the mast (or a share of the mast in the case of multiple
> antennas) times
> >> the turning radius!
> >
> >My understanding of "K Factor" is that it is supposed to be a
> measure of a
> >rotator's ability to handle starting and braking torque loads as
> well as
> >rotator torque loads due to wind gusts.  So, if you are going to
> compare a
> >rotator's K factor to your antenna configuration, you need to
> consider every
> >bit of mass that the rotator is expect to turn and/or stop by
> braking.
> Whether
> >or not it is appropriate to include the mast can be answered by
> answering the
> >following question:  "Is the mast being rotated and/or braked by
> the
> rotator?"
> >Well . . . obviously YES it is, so it should be included.  If it is
> a long
> >mast, the mass is significant, but the radius will always be small
> compared to
> >the antennas themselves.  Whether the product of mast mass times
> radius is
> >large enough to impact the comparison of your antenna system to the
> factor of
> >the rotator is open for discussion, ie: it depends on HOW large it
> actually is.
>
> Yes, but that's what's silly -- a lightweight 40m monobander like a
> Force
> 12, mounted on a heavy chrome-moly mast, would have a much higher K
> factor
> than a heavier antenna of like size on a lightweight mast.  In the
> real
> world, the weight of the antenna is being multiplied by the lever
> arm(s)
> through which it acts on the rotator, while the mast contributes
> very
> little to the inertia the rotator must overcome.
> >
> >> Then just to gild the lily, they recommend that you not exceed 60
> percent
> >> of the allowable K factor for a given rotator,
> >
> >I don't really understand why it is acceptable to exceed the K
> factor at all.
> >I would think that a good definition of K factor would mean that
> you don't
> >exceed it, at all, ever.  If exceeding it by 60% is OK, why don't
> we just
> make
> >all K factors 60% larger in the first place . . .  ? ?

> [...]

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.