[TowerTalk] antenna stacking question

Rick Bullon kc5ajx@hotmail.com
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 21:50:37 GMT

Hello all
After reading the thread last week on stacking antennas, I started to
rethink my antenna plans. Now the following idea is just a plan ( or a dream
hihi) and if I decide to do it based on feedback from the group it will
happen over the next year or so because of finances.
  Right the plan is 70' of Rohn 25 ( can't change the tower type as it is
literally in concrete :) )with a TH-6 DXX on top I could go up to 80' of
tower but I don't think 10' will make any difference.
Now the new plan is to replace the TH-6 with a Force 12 C-4 with C-3's at 35
and 51 ft on either Tig rings or side mounts a 6 meter beam above the top
tribander and a 2 meter vertical side mounted between the 2 lower tri
banders have I overloaded the Rohn 25 yet? Probably have :)
  The tower isn't finished yet ( it will b e in a month or 2 though) I plan
on using a 20ft carbon steel mast 2" in diameter with the rotor plate
mounted on top of the last straight section with the Rohn tapered top
section. I figure by mounting the rotor further down it will be stronger but
I will have only about 10' of mast sticking out of the tower.
The reason for doing this is I figure that the top tribander is too high for
10 but should work ok for 15 and 20 thus the lower tribanders for 10 and
when conditions would favor the lower antennas rather than the higher one on
15 and 20.
I already have the TH-6 antenna but I figure that instead of putting a forty
meter antenna above the Th-6 the C4 is a better option in the future and
seeing as the C4 is a lighter antenna that the TH6 and the forty meter
antenna I be able to add the lower tribanders.
I saw WX0B's post with the formula for figuring stacking distance but I'm
more concerned with tower loading right now. The above distances of 35 and
51 ft are just top of my head distances.
I could just mount the lower tribanders fixed on Europe and Japan but I
would like to be able to rotate them in a stack if needed. My main interests
right now are contesting and DXing.
Like I said this is not a project that is going to be done in a month or two
but over time may in the next year or two if at all.
The smaller plan is to keep the TH-6  and a forty meter beam on top with a
six meter in the middle and a 1 C3 lower on the tower . For this year it is
just the TH6 and a dipole for for forty and eighty meters.
To paraphrase a comment I heard on the local 80 meter rag chew frequency
"Isn't this tower stuff fun???"
73
Rick
KC5AJX
P.S. I am using Phillystran guys instead of EHS guy wire on the tower