[TowerTalk] Does Mast Destroy V-Pol UHF Beam Pattern??

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:13:38 +0200

The mast doesn't necessarily destroy the pattern althought such type of
risk effectively exist and depends by multiple variables.
Same story apply to a coaxial cable that runs parallel to elements.
Therefore the fiberglass mast won't insure at all or always prevent
interactions and antenna pattern distortions.
The best way to overcome the problem is to mount the antenna on a sort
of horizontal mast (like when horizontally stacking two antennas) that
results normal to elements.
In this way, shifting the antenna half wavelenght (or more) from the
mast and making the coaxial line to follow the boom, the horizontal
mast and then the vertical mast, one can be quite sure to really avoid
the electrical problems.
Concering the mechanical point, in the case the antenna weight is
consistent, some counterweight opposed to the antenna (why not a second
antenna...) could be required to avoid the vertical mast is subdue to a
lateral force.

73,
Mauri I4JMY