[TowerTalk] DB's, ad nauseam

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:26:42 +0200

May be you're referring to the so called "luxemburg effect":

"There is a very interesting ionospheric phenomena, the Luxemburg
Effect, that was exploited in the early days of the laboratory and was
a precursor of many perturbation techniques now used in many fields.
Telegren was the person who discovered the effect, namely that Radio
Luxemburg would heat the electrons in the ionosphere and thus transfer
the audio envelope on its signal to any wave traversing that portion of
the ionosphere by modulating the absorption."

...anyway, althought possible that huge energy fired against a small
portion of the ionosphere causes something (experiments are done with
radars at microwaves) to gas electrons, it's not a stright consequence
to produce a non linearity and reciprocal mixing of short waves.
Concerning the Luxemburg effect I'm strongly convinced it
never "occurred" other than in receivers with overloaded front ends.

73,
Mauri I4JMY