[TowerTalk] N connectors

Roger D. Johnson n1rj@pivot.net
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:43:20 -0400

 Several tours aboard ships in the Coast Guard have
convinced me that no connector is really weatherproof!
We had equipment up to the 10GHz range and the best N
connectors I found were the type where you soldered the
center pin and crimped the braid. very easy and non-
critical assembly. The drawback, of course, is that you
need a crimping tool and dies to do the job properly.
The govt bought the clamp ring type N connectors from
several different mfrs, all with different assembly
instructions ( which always seemed to get lost) and
getting a young tech to install one properly for use
in the microwave range was very difficult!

73, Roger