[TowerTalk] 2M beam interfering with TH7

N2TK n2tk@earthlink.net
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:03:13 -0400

I have a TH7 that is 9' above a Cushcraft 13B2 2M beam. The 2M beam is fixed
off the side of the tower about a foot. It is roughly 13' long and mounted
off-center as according to the directions. When I rotate the TH7 the swr
changes at the bottom of the band (28.0). At 28.5 there is very little
change in the swr.
If I drop the 2M beam the swr of the TH7 doesn't change. So I assume the
problem is with the 2M antenna.
My question, is there an easy way to change the resonance of the 2M beam so
it doesn't interact. Was thinking of chopping off a few feet of the director
end, but this may put the resonance up in the 10M phone band and maybe make
things worse, plus make it harder to stay connected on 2M packet.
Will attaching an insulted wire to both ends of the boom that is a few feet
longer than the boom and coiling up the access at the center help to short
out any resonances?
I could lower the 2M beam but I was trying to keep it above the trees as I
have a long shot to connect on packet.
Looking for suggestions. Tnx
Tony
N2TK