[TowerTalk] ground rods for towers

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:11:20 EDT

In a message dated 07/31/2000 12:09:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
w4th@webtv.net writes:

> How many ground rods should be used on a tower of 75 feet? This tower is
>  used only for beams and dipole support. I have a friend who says one is
>  enough, I have others who say one on each leg, what say ye me hearties?

    Since you're in a spot that gets a significant amount of lightning, I'd
be sure to do a decent job. Three ground rods per leg spaced a rod-length
apart is a good start.

    This only takes care of the tower - you've still got your cables to take
care of also. They should be grounded as the come off the tower towards the
shack and then at the building entry. Your whole goal is to keep the
lightning transients out of the house. A Single-Point Ground System using the
building entry as the main point is how it's done.

    You should also do something about your power service drop, phone line
and cable TV line if you really want to insure total safety. I have a reprint
of a grounding article I wrote as well as copies of "Protection to Keep You
Communicating" from Polyphaser written for ham applications. These are a buck
each to Box 572,Woodinville, WA, 98072.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products