[TowerTalk] ground rods for towers

Adam Adkins Adam at Home <km5n@earthlink.net>
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:28:31 -0500

	I assume you are talking about 8' ground rods.  Here's a question regarding
about getting adequate protection from those ground rods when you live in an
area that has very rocky soil.

	Actually, although the soil is very rocky, that isn't the major problem.
The biggest concern is the solid rock that is about 24" down from grade.  It
is impossible to drive a ground rod vertically into that rock.  Can I borrow
a trick from the electrician's trade and bury the rods horizontally in
trenches to get the same kind of lightning protection?  And if so, how far
apart should they be spaced?

	Thanks!

73,

Adam Adkins, KM5N