[TowerTalk] Amateur Exemptions

Barry Martz k8bk@speedconnect.com
Wed, 31 May 2000 20:47:39 -0400

Hi All:

This may be way off the mark for this reflector but I am trying to get as
much info as possible.

I am a sysop for the local packetcluster.  We are located at a comercial
tower site.
We are losing our spot high on the tower due to some problems I don't want
to go into here.  Anyway, I asked if we could install a small Ringo antenna
on a small Rohn 35 tower at about 30'.  The owner would gladly let me do it
except all the EMP tests or whatever they are, need to be done.  He told me
the FCC is really going to CRACK DOWN this fall.  The site / antenna tests
would cost $1200.00.
If this is true, it would seem to me that a lot of repeaters/digipeaters are
in trouble if they have to pay the costs.

Do we have ANY exemptions that would cover this?  We have no money to cover
the test and if we can't put up even the simplest antenna, we will lose the
packetcluster completely.

Sorry to use the bandwidth, but I have a bunch of guys depending on me to
keep this thing running and I want to cover all the bases.

Thanks for any help.

73 de Barry/K8BK

W8BAD Packetcluster system.