[TowerTalk] 160 meter antenna question

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 17:00:38 +0200

A top loaded vertical is actually a vertical antenna when the function
of its loading structure is that to only lenghten (electrically) the
antenna and not to radiate. An inverted L antenna with reasonable
symilar proportions between the vertical and the horizontal leg doesn't
differ much by a quarter wavelenght radiator because the top loading
structure is actually "collapsed" in a single wire and doesn't exactly
behave like a top loaded antenna. The result of such antenna type is
infact a current distribution that's still quite resembling that of a
linear radiator and leads a certain part of the horizontal (slant)
portion to radiate significantely.
Since horizontal and vertical polarized fields "live" their own
separate lifes, from the transmitting point the horizontal portion of
the antenna doesn't contribute anyway much in any case to the radiated
field at low angles, radiationd that stay a matter of the vertical
portion. While receiving, instead, the story is different because the
high angle signals, whose the horizontal wire responds well, add to the
others on the way to the receiver and may hide what's a "low angle" but
not strong enough to "win" over.
Concerning what's to use as loading device, best is always capacitive
and becomes the only possibility when the required amount of loading is
big and efficiency must be good.
If the required loading is small, then a coil can be placed anywere
(i.e. confortably at base, may be integrated as a part of a step up
impedance autotransformer)without affecting much the overall efficiency.
When the loading amount is big, anywere the coil is placed there's no
real way to minimize its losses.
When the loading is neither big or small, the best approach is to load
capacitively as much as it is possible and to leave the coil the
function of cancelling the residual reactance and resonate the
antenna.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

ontesting.com>, "Tom K Osborne" <w7why@juno.com>