[TowerTalk] Rohn FK 25 & KT34XA

Wells, Rick Rick.Wells@compaq.com
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:53:40 -0400

One of the limiting factors with the Rohn foldovers is the maximum specified
weight load at the top, i.e., the hing has to take this weight on the way
up, out at the end of 1 or 2 tower sections depending on how many there are
above the hing.  Check the dead weight of the yagi, rotor and mast and
compare to that specified by Rohn.  My 45G is rated at something like 130
lbs.  Not much!  You don't use a foldover for a stacked yagi array on a
steel mast.  More of a single tribander application type tower.

73,
Rick W2RW

-----Original Message-----
From: Sylvan Katz [mailto:jskatz@sk.sympatico.ca]
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2000 6:46 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn FK 25 & KT34XA

First let me thank all of you who responded to my question about the
KT34XA. I think I have been suitably forewarned about the need to
inspect and service this antenna on a regular basis.

I have a change to purchase a discontinued Rohn FK 25 (58' fold over
tower).  I understand the 25G accessories fit  the FK 25.. The
recommended guying radius is 18' but for a variety of reasons I think I
will guy it at 32'.

Questions:

Do you think this tower can handle a KT34XA and a T2X?
If yes, what precautions should I take to ensure that I do not have to
service it in the middle of winter.

Also I have been advised to use the K factor instead of the antenna
surface area to determine if the FK 25 can handle a KT34XA. What is the
K factor and how does on calculate it?

tnx
Syl

--