[TowerTalk] Re: Diamond 2m/70cm Vertical versus Radio Shack

DavidC DavidC" <eDoc@netzero.net
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 18:31:17 -0400

Jeff & Others:

Two questions, please?

1.  How does the Diamond 2m/70cm Vertical compare
     to the Radio Shack fiberglass coated one?
     (cost, performance, strength, quality)

2.  I have a 30 foot telescoping mast.  I had thought of a pipe
     but given the sandy soil here don't I need to pour a concrete
     base and set the pipe in it -- then slide the "mast" over it?
     (BTW:  Does yours have a flat section at the base for
      bolting it down?  Should I weld a plate to the pipe-in-the-
       concrete and bolt to it for added stability?  No twisting.)

- Thanks! & 73, DavidC  K1YP in Hudson, FL

> Now my question.  I'm putting up a 36-foot telescoping mast and
> I'm looking for a source of inexpensive, light-duty earth screw
> anchors.  The purpose of the mast is for a multiband inverted
> vee, but I also plan on putting a Diamond 2m/70cm vertical
> on top.  The legs of the inverted vee will also act as guys.
> Since the wind load isn't really going to be that much, I plan
> on using dacron rope for guy material (the black UV-resistant
> stuff).  I have a galvanized pipe which I will drive into the ground
> about 4 feet and the bottom section of the mast will slide into
> that tightly and be bolted as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff KI0RO
> (ex KC0HEP)