[TowerTalk] Rohn FK 25 & KT34XA

Bill Aycock baycock@HIWAAY.NET
Thu, 08 Jun 2000 20:05:04 -0500

As a matter of fact- the Rohn specs for the 58 ft foldover are not 18 ft.
That figure is for the 48 ft version, and is for 4 guy wires, not three.
Tom is right- in general, "more is better" as far as guy radius is
concerned.  I have the 48 ft version, guyed per specs. THe spec for the 58
(and 68) ft folding tower is 25 ft radius, not 18 ft.

In following the "prime directive" it is nice to know what the Mfg says- in
this case- try to get the Rohn specs. Champion radio has the complete Rohn
booklet, with all the common drawings and specs, for a reasonable price. My
copy has the fold-over specs in it.

Bill-W4BSG

At 05:48 AM 6/8/00 -0600, you wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 19:06:50 EDT K7LXC@aol.com writes:
>>
>> In a message dated 06/05/2000  jskatz@sk.sympatico.ca writes:
>>
>> >  I have a chance to purchase a discontinued Rohn FK 25 (58' fold
>> over tower).  I understand the 25G accessories fit  the FK 25.. The
>> >  recommended guying radius is 18' but for a variety of reasons I
>> think I will guy it at 32'.
>> >
>>       Uh...maybe not. The LXC Prime Directive says to "DO what the
>> manufacturer says". That being the case, guy it where they say.
>> While their  drawings for other tower heights and windspeeds are
>> just ONE guying  scenario,
>> the foldovers are much more critical in their installation and use.
>>
>	Please give us ONE good reason why guying closer
>	in to the tower would be better, stronger, or safer
>	than guying further out.  I can't imagine one.
>
>	It would be prudent to check this with Rohn or
>	a qualified Professional Engineer.
>
>	de  Tom  N4KG

>Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.