[TowerTalk] Towers near airports (fairly long)

dpbunte@juno.com dpbunte@juno.com
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 07:21:03 -0500

I am not as close as some folks, but am less than 10,000' from the end of
the longest/main runway at the Purdue University airport.

Some years ago, when I wanted to erect a 100' freestanding tower, I had
to deal with two issues.  The local zoning board, which had a 35' height
limit, and my proximity to the airport...especially since I am also on
higher ground.  In our community, the paperwork, certified mailings,
newspaper and yard sign postings, and the appearance before the Board of
Zoning Appeals, consumed about 3 months time and about $200.

By comparison, dealing with the FAA was a breeze.  Their form 7460-1 was
quite easy to fill out.  I did have a surveyor shoot the Lat. & Long.
plus the elevation of the proposed site of the tower (a few moments with
a good GPS unit would probably do the trick now).  And soon after I
submitted my request for approval, the FAA notified me that I could put
up my tower as long as it was no longer than 8' tall.  I called them and
pointed out that I felt it was unreasonable to expect me to remove more
than half of my house so it would not exceed that limit as well.  The
person I spoke with was very polite, and almost apologetic.  She
explained that all requests are first subjected to a strict formula.  And
if I then re-submitted, pointing out that my house, and most of the
others in the area were 24' or higher, they use different criteria.
Within 10 days or so of that second filing I got the OK for 35'.  Again,
that was very simple...as I was jumping through their hoops.  I had to
get past that second step in the process and request reconsideration
before they then submitted my request to the area airports for comment.
I can remember seeing crop dusting planes no more than 20 or 30' off the
ground within a couple of hundred yards of my home within the past 20
years, so I knew that just the glide slope of landings was not a
guarantee of clearance.  After a few weeks for the airports to consider
my request, I was granted permission to put up the tower and
antennas...BUT THEY WANTED THE TOWER PAINTED IN ALTERNATING BANDS OF
AVIATION ORANGE AND WHITE...WITH A REGULATION BEACON AT THE TOP.  When I
called again, it was told to not worry, but they had simply progressed to
the next step in their proscribed process.  The could not consider a
waiver of the paint and lighting requirements, until after they had
imposed those requirements.  A single letter, explaining that I was in a
residential area, and the added attention that the colors and light would
draw were inappropriate for the location resulted in an immediate
waiver...and my tower stands proud and tall to this day.

I know it sounds like a lot to go through...but, in fact, it took less
than $5.00 in postage and long distance phone calls...and I was assured
at every step of the way that my request appeared reasonable, and would
probably be granted.

I also realize that where you live, things may be different, and this is
no longer 1982, but my experience with the FAA was excellent.

Best of luck,

-Dave-  K9FN
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.