[TowerTalk] Which PL259? K0FF

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 15:12:57 -0500

I only use Amphenol PL259's (yeah I know even those are made in Asia now),
but at least they are consistent. Just the regular bakelite ones, not Teflon
or silver. Been using lots of them (some thousands anyway) outdoors and
under motion stress for many a year. As long as they are put on right at
first. No tinning of the braid (avoid this), no filing the little holes in
the plug. Just lots of heat and a good solder. Melt solder into all 4 holes
and it takes up on the braid just fine.Never mix parts from look-alike
brands, The shells are longer and won't tighten down properly, giving an
intermittent ground. If you  get stuck with an SO-239 that does not have the
teeth all the way around, but just 2 notches, make sure the 2 pips on the
PL259 engage those squarely.

Someone said they had good luck with a 150 W gun. I have not. The slightest
breeze cools it off, and then you get a flaky connection. Secret still is
lots of heat fast. Same goes for the UG176 reducers when using RG/59 or
RG8Mini.

I usually remember to put the shell on the cable first. Only forget that
when it's raining or snowing outside, and I'm up on the tower...without a
spare pl259 body in my pocket.

Anyway when you put the shell on the cable, tie a big loose knot in the coax
and the shell won't slide down to the bottom of the cable. That's a  good
mental reminder too.

K0FF