[TowerTalk] Soldering PL-259's shields a different way

LEE R. WICAL leewical@lava.net
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:49:02 -1000

	Some time ago, someone place a fine, detailed thread on soldering PL-259's.
	They stated they would take the PL-259 apart and using a triangular file
would file out the metal, between two of the four holes, making an
oval-like opening. The ditto on the other side of the PL-259, make an
equal, and opposite, oval-like hole. This makes soldering of the braid
easier, for me, plus a lot more area to solder the braid to the connector.
What an excellent idea.

	I got my "crews" doing same.

	Oh, don't forget to put the screw-on PL-259 collar onto the coax first.

	(And how many of us have done that once or twice! You all can put down
your hands down NOW!).

	I use nothing but the Tefelon center PL-259s. Those Phenolic centers
connectors are for the birds.

	Remember, buy good PL-259s as with a coaxial transmission line, the chain
is only as strong as the weakest link. Radioman, The Wireman, Universal
Radio are good sources for tefelon centered PL-259.

	BTW, I use a WELLER 80-w pistol-type gun. It works fine "Mr Weller".
TNX.

	BTW, I always check using my Fluke meter to see if any braid wiring short
to center conductor before soldering. This just might save to a connector.
Or later, a solder bridge shield to center conductor at each step. Ditto at
the other coaxial end.

	BTW, the ARRL Handbook doesn'r cover this fact in detail but....
	"There are at least two ends to every run of coax cable!"......

	You may quote me! BZF! Your turn! QSL?

Lee

  "I did not loose anything recently in the NY Stock market! I didn't sell!
		"Always save and have enough Gold...
	     to bribe the border guards", Mr. Greenspan
         "You sound reasonable...It maybe time to up the medication!"