[TowerTalk] Beverages

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:32:08 EDT

In a message dated 11.06.00 09:24:57 Pacific Daylight Time,
alwilliams@olywa.net writes:

<<
 I have room to put up a 500' beverage but it would be over wetland, 100'
 pond, and much mucky peat bed.  Would it be a wasted effort?

 k7puc

Try it on all frequencies and transmit and receive.  I laid an insulated wire
on a frozen lake and it worked great.  I floated it in the spring also.  It
was quiet.  I'm going to lay an insulated wire in the bottom of a small river
bed in SD.  The ground conductivity is the highest in the US there and it may
detract from it's performance but that remains to be seen even with preamps.
Talk about a stealth antenna!  50 years ago I ran a wire to the railroad
tracts and metal elevators that were 300' away for a great termination.  Try
different heights and try grounding it on the end with a good of set radials
for the ground.  Make it multiples of 140' and it will be a Lo-Z feed on all
bands without the "end affect reduction or change" of resonant length on the
harmonics.  1/2 wave multiples of wire and transmission line repeat the
resistance it's terminated in at the other end.  Adjust for resonance low in
the band and use with a 3 gang BC variable Xc to tune up the band.  By
adjusting the wire length and series Xc value different and or desired R
values can be obtained for easier feed   The voltage is low so close spacing
works and Hi-C is needed on the lowest frequency and progressively less
higher in the band.  If any arcing occurs with high power, used fixed Xc's
and a wider spaced lower Xc variable.

Chip described something similar at a SeaSide, Or Hamvention where a sloping
160M wire about 260' long was terminated in salt water with a weight and
matched to a coax with a tuner at the support.  It heard many layers down
like
Chip has never heard before. In absence of salt water as described above use
a ground system of rods and radials to terminate at the end instead of a
terminating resistor.  Since salt water surface area conducts fairly well and
is not a zero ohms RF ground, who is to say that it actually transfers
signals to the terminated end running in the water to the weight holding it
at the bottom and reflecting to the wire above the wire.  Grounding LW's and
Beverages at the end gives great results at times.  Who is to say that a
radial system at the end enhances signal pick up and transfers it to the wire
or creates favorable directivity and gain?  Try it.  I wish I could compare a
salt water to a ground radial termination side by side. Obtain dug up oil
tanks that leak, paint it with Derusto and braze a connection terminal on it
and bury it as a ground at the shack or end of a Beverage.  The surface area
is very large compared to a ground rod which is less than 1 sq ft.  Sink one
of these tanks out in the salt water, a lake or a stream and run the wire at
right angles or parallel for a weight and ground connection at difference
distances for comparisons.  Try something new for a change--Innovation is the
name of the Antenna Game for the Competitive.  K7GCO