[Fwd: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn FK 25 & KT34XA]

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 18:09:47 EDT

In a message dated 06/11/2000 2:57:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jnipper@southeast.net writes:

> Do many of you fellows still use those
>  antenna climbing masts made by ILX (I think that is the name).  This
>  ladder mast is abt 12 feet long I think, and of course the tower is
>  normally guyed at the very top of the top section.  It has been said
>  here that the tower should not be guyed at any place other than the top
>  of the top section.  But what is the difference between having a tower
>  with a ladder mast sticking 12 feet above the top of the tower, compared
>  with guying a tower at the BOTTOM of the top tower section ?? Would not
>  that top section be the same as the ladder mast ??

      Yes - and it would take a large chunk of the tower capacity with it.
The mast has much less surface area to be caught in the wind.

      The only IIX mast I know of in this area seemed to be like a semi-wet
noodle. A friend of mine climbed it and he said that when you put your foot
on a right step, the tower shifted to the right and when you put your left
foot on a step, it pulled to the left. Sounded pretty flakey to me. And
scarey.

      I don't have any idea what the mast material is either. Maybe IIX could
check in and enlighten us.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC