[TowerTalk] Aluminum Masts

Dave D'Epagnier DAVED@ctilidar.com
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:00:34 -0600

I'm wondering what you guys think about long aluminum masts. I've got a 17'
GME roof top tower which puts my C3-S at about 42' in height with 2' of mast
above the tower. I'm thinking about getting a 20' aluminum T-6061 2.25"
diameter 0.25" wall mast to put in it with 10' sticking out the top, 10'
staying in the tower. I'll have to move the rotor bracket down from roughly
3' from the top to 10' from the top. The thinking is that this will
strengthen the already strong and stiff tower. I'm planning on putting
modest beams on it (C3-S) or home brew beams in the 30lb and <8sq ft surface
area class.

Is this mast ok for this? Will it be real noodley and spooky to climb on? Is
there something better for the same $.

thanks,

Dave
K0QE