[TowerTalk] Free Standing Tower

Curtis, David B david.b.curtis@intel.com
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:58:53 -0700

Hmm... I spend a considerable amount of the weekend looking at the SSV
section of the Rohn catalog, because I have been considering going with a
free-standing 70 footer. The Rohn catalog shows a rotor shelf for SSV.  It
also states that a tapered top (with mast tube) is delivered with several of
the flavors of top termination.

The thing I'm wondering about on SSV is how hard these puppies are to
assemble.  Most of the sections seem to weigh in around 500 lbs.  That'll
stress test the ol' gin pole.  I'm sure the big boys use a crane. The
catalog says to bolt the sections together on the ground and square them up.
How difficult is it to assemble the pieces in place?  I'm sure it's time
consuming....

And, while we're at it, how does cost compare to say, 45G?  45G will have 4
slugs of concrete, 4 holes to excavate, guy wire, turnbuckles, etc.  SSV
will have one big mamma concrete block (16 yards for a fairly stout 70'
tower).  Has anyone worked out the $numbers?

Anyway... point me at those auctions... :-)

73, Dave N6NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: K0FF [mailto:K0FF@ARRL.NET]
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 11:02 AM
To: Roger Huntley; TowerTalk
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Free Standing Tower

Windmill type towers are great, and Aeromotor made a special one for Ham
use. The one I used was 56 ft tall and 8 feet wide at the base, and all the
pieces bolted together for easy 1 man assembly. The radio version came with
an oversized rotor plate and an oversized top plate. Both these hung over
the edge of the tower by several inches, and a 2" hole was made into each
one to accept a supplied gin pole. Very thoughtful, as well as was the built
in ladder on one leg.
The actual windmill version has a pointy top, and though you could mount an
antenna on it, no provision for a bearing or rotor plate was made.
Radio versions are very difficult to find, I have only seen a few, and they
were both 56 footers. I think they made one bigger size, and that would have
been 70 ', as the "sections" were 14' long each.
A reasonable modern alternative is a Rohn SSV type, but no top plates or
rotor plates are made for them. I have made drawings for constructing same,
and can easily be done by any metal shop. A lot of these are coming out of
commercial service, being replaced by larger, multipurpose towers, so they
can be had at city auctions etc. reasonably.
As always plan for a mast raising winch, no mater which tower you select.