[TowerTalk] coax switch at tower

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 01:29:19 EDT

In a message dated 12.06.00 19:49:55 Pacific Daylight Time,
jskatz@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

<<
 I want to feed each band on a triband quad band separately. Also, I am
 going to use a four square 40 m slopper and feed the tower as an 80 m
 vertical.  The distance from shack to the tower is about 50 ft. The
 height of the tower is about 60 ft. Any suggestions for a design that
 will minimize the cost of feedlines, switches, connectors etc for this
 antenna system?

 tnx
 Sylvan

Feed each DE of the triband quad separately and with balanced feed to prevent
the "Dreaded RF Spill Over." and not exciting the other off band quads that
occurs when all the DE's are tied together. That design concept has set the
quads performance potential back more than another other concept and used by
the Junk Merchants catering to the tight budget market.  That design is in
the "Top 5 All Time Dummities Of Antenna Design".  You will need a remote
controlled coax switch at the top of the tower for this.  Antenna Mart has
the good ones.  Early quads had marginal mechanical construction.  Antenna
Mart makes the strongest ones now.

If you feed the tower as a vertical, RF spill over on to the rotator cables,
HF coax etc can occur and get into everything in the shack.  Ground the
shield of coax at the base of the tower and by pass each rotator lead with a
.1 ufd to the base of the tower also.
A Johnson Match Box and open wire line is a great system for wire antennas.
K7GCO