[TowerTalk] coax switch at tower

Jim Idelson k1ir@designet.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:08:45 -0400

Sylvan,

For minimum complexity, maximum reliability, highest flexibility, and fairly
low cost [possibly lowest cost], do it the old fashioned way. Bring all you
coax feed lines into the shack, and use any coax switch you like. Cost will be
about $60 for the additional 4 50-foot runs of coax, plus your choice of manual
coax switch [$50]. This will compare favorably with any other remote control
approach, where you'll need many more connectors and a run of control cable to
a more expensive remote-control coax switch. If the distance to your tower was
greater, like 100+ feet, you might break even on the cost with the remote
switch approach.

I use a remote control switch here for a few antennas, but I try to run as many
as possible directly to the shack. It's so easy to troubleshoot, and you can
reconfigure your antenna setup so easily with separate feedlines.

Good luck!

Jim K1IR