[TowerTalk] Frozen aluminum

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:10:40 EDT

In a message dated 06/13/2000 1:02:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jerry@rchco.com writes:

> I've had a ten year old 204BA in storage outside for about 15 years...
>  The elements are "frozen" together at the telescoping connections.Deox
>  was not common back when they were put together... none was used.
>  Tried everything... can't get them apart!

      Hmm. You could try heating the outer element with a propane torch. I'm
not sure if there's any penetrant that'll work. Try soaking them with Liquid
Wrench. Just don't set the LW on fire with the torch!

>  Would elements in this condition still have good RF continuity and be
>  used as is?

      You could see if that's true with your dvm. But since aluminum oxide is
not a conductor, I wouldn't use them like that. Better to refurb everything -
then you're sure they'll work.

     Here's a thought. You could drill a couple of TEK screws into the
element joints and call it good. The TEK screws are self-tapping sheet metal
screws. Get the short ones with a Phillips head and it'll take you about 10
minutes with your cordless drill.

    The TEK screw will penetrate both element parts and give you another (and
probably better) electrical connection. Then you don't have to do anything
with the elements.

      NAW! That's too easy.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech