[TowerTalk] Comments on Sidemounting Antenna, Please

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 05:03:20 -0600

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:22:22 -0400 "B. J. \"Tony\" Martin"
<w4foa@voy.net> writes:

> I am planning to "side mount" a TA-36 (pre CL-36) on my
> 75 foot Rohn 25 tower.  Want to put it at approximately the
> 45 foot level, fixed on Europe.

	Excellent idea Tony.

> This is my first experience with sidemounting and would welcome
> the suggestions, ideas, "do's and dont's" from this most
> knowledgeable group.  Should I mount it directly to a tower
> leg?

	The TA-36 is a fairly substantial antenna (6L on
	a 24 ft boom).  I have had a 3L20 on a 24 ft boom
	sidemounted on a R35 tower leg (same gauge as
	R25) for several years with no problems.

	A stronger solution would be to use a piece
	of aluminum channel, U bolted across two legs
	with 2 U-bolts per leg extending 1 ft out.  Use
	appropriate sized U bolts (1-1/4 inch opening).
	If you can't find 1-1/4 inch U bolts, 1-3/8 or 1-1/2
	inch U bolts can be used with a PVC sleeve on
	the tower leg.  Use a 2 inch short mast at the
	end, held by 2 heavy duty 2 inch U bolts.  The
	short mast can be heavy wall aluminum or
	galvanized pipe (even water pipe).

	If you want to rotate the sidemount, you can
	place a rotor on the short mast (bottom mounting
	plate installed) with another short mast in the
	top part of the rotor.  A support bar can be installed
	above the antenna using another piece of channel
	aluminum or even a piece of 2 by 2 angle aluminum.
	Double nut a 2 inch U bolt around the upper mast
	to allow it to turn freely.

	de Tom  N4KG

I think Rohn has a sidemount fixture for Rohn 25 and
> if so, should I only use that device?  My knowledge level on this
> subject is ZERO, so any comments would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance and Sincere 73
> Tony, W4FOA
> Chickamauga, Georgia

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!