[TowerTalk] Unsafe Towers @ field day

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 06:05:09 -0600

Hello Pat,

I have witnessed 3 tower accidents on Field Day.

Our group uses a trailer mounted 30 ft crank up tower
with a pulley mounted on a welded arm and configured
as a block and tackle with a 2:1 mechanical advantage
with a pulley tied to the base to raise preassembled
50 ft R25 towers with single band 2L Quads.  The
clip has a string attached which can be pulled loose
from the ground and NO CLIMBING is necessary.
A VERY HEAVY rope is used to pull up the tower.

On two occassions, an inexperienced group had the
trailer on sloping ground and got the weight of the
tower off axis with the tower, folding the crankup
over.  Fortunately and amazingly, no one was injured.

On another occassion, a fellow rode a 50 ft tower down
when he swung around on the tower and pulled the
rotted bush it was guyed to right out of the ground!
He broke both ankles and had several cuts and bruises.
All because the rotor indicator was not calibrated !

Field Day is NOT the time or place to throw caution
to the wind!

Guying with NYLON rope is RISKY...TOO  MUCH  STRETCH.

We use steel guys and small mobile home screw in
anchors which can be turned in with a large rotating
tool that can be rented.  At a minimum, a strong
non-stretch rope should be used.

de Tom  N4KG

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.