[TowerTalk] G5RV On 6m?

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 03:29:54 -0600

The G5RV, or any other centerfed wire antenna, is nothing
more than a center fed Long Wire antenna.  Any LW will
work on any frequency where the antenna is longer than
1/2 WL (actually somewhat less).  When the wires are
more than one wavelength long, the pattern splits into
multiple lobes which will have some gain.  To properly
use such antennas requires an understanding of the
actual pattern which can be easily modeled by most
antenna analysis programs.  Such programs can also
provide feed point impedances.  Several fixed antennas
are required to get 360 degree coverage.

Simple dipoles, 2L Yagi's, or 2L Quads are easy to build
and yield predictable impedances and patterns and are
probably a better choice if you are looking for a quick
solution.

Of course, if you already have a G5RV, you could simply
try loading it up and see what you get.

de Tom  N4KG

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:05:07 -0400 (EDT) Nat Heatwole
<heatwole@clark.net> writes:

> Hello. I'm wondering if an MFJ G5RV dipole would load on the 6m band
> with
> an acceptable (2/1 or less) SWR through the use of the internal
> tuner
> inside an FT-920? An if so, about how much gain should it posses on
> that
> band (assuming that it's at a reasonable height)? Thanks a lot for
> reading, and any help is appreciated.
>
> 73's, Nat/WZ3AR
>

> --

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!