[TowerTalk] Portable Crank-Up Mast

thompson@mindspring.com thompson@mindspring.com
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:36:37 -0400

The best bet is a aluminum 30 or 40 foot tower in 10 foot sections.  We used
an EP-40 (not sure of the mfg) one year
with HD rope for guys.  Two people walked it up with a TH-2 on it.

I see light duty crank up masts advertised at RSGB's Rad-Com magazine.  The
models most seen range from 8 to 28 feet but I have seen another that went
to 40'.   What is lacking here in the states such a light duty mast that a
small tri-bander can be installed on
for one man trips for IOTA or small field day groups. Rotation could be
either "armstrong" or TV rotor.  The AB-577 et al are nice and low cost but
the weight of the support shells are 300+ pounds so usually take more than
one person and you have to bring along a pick up to carry the shell.   I
have also seen Wilson/US Tower MA-40 (NE4S has this )adapted to a mobile
home and military motorized crank up masts but they usually cannot be found.
Rohn Push up masts require a 10 foot ladder or a roof top and the models of
Alumina Tower with small trailer run $6000!.   Anyone know of a mast
available in the USA (like the RSGB masts) at a ham net of $600 to $1000
that fills the bill?
Dave K4JRB