[TowerTalk] Portable Crank-Up Mast

Ed Kucharski k3dne@chesint.net
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 18:14:37 -0400

Nat/Towertalk,
I have found what I think is an ideal small crankup mast
that is perferct for a portable/temporary antenna installation.
It is military surplus, labeled as US Army FSD#6230-386-8939
Mast, Tesescopic, Floodlight.
It uses a gear/tooth mechanism to telescope to 20 feet
via 3 telescoping sections - not light at a wt. of ~50# (or more)
- (a rotor mounts easily on top) and it nests at 5ft.
It is anchored with 4 adjustable guy "legs" that are secured
to the surface with 4 drive-in U-rods.  I purchased mine
at the Timmonium, MD hamfest several years
ago and I have seen them for sale at that hamfest as recent as this
spring in the $200-300 range depending on condition.  If I can find
the buisness card of the seller, I will post the info on the reflector
(It's gotta be around here somewhere!).
73,
Ed K3DNE