[TowerTalk] Repairing Bell rotor Pots. K0FF

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:24:42 -0500

The other day I was overhauling a rotor (HAM-X style) that had a bad pot.
The wire was broken about halfway around the strip, and was easy to get to.
I peeled back both good ends and tried to reattach them. Soldering did not
work. The iron, big gun, and micro-torch wouldn't make ordinary solder
stick. Twisting them together just broke the wires, as they appear to be
brittle. Finally settled on a crimp connection, made with a 1/16" brass tube
clipped off of a PC board terminal in the junkbox. This seemed to hold fine,
and was small enough as not to bother anything. How well it holds up in use
is another matter, I'll have to report back on that (hopefully in several
years).