[TowerTalk] End Fed W8JK

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:46:34 EDT

I don't know where the 8jk would be on the Internet.  It is real simple.  Run
parallel 1/2 waves 1/8 WL apart.  Bend the ends (one end only) in to a
450--600 ohm open wire line 68 or 136' long (.98 VF) and use a Johnson Match
Box--with my modifications.  End feeding does a great job and is more
efficient than center feeding.  When center fed so that the dipoles are 180
degrees out of phase, the close and critical coupling and the 180 degree
phasing results in maximum gain both ways of 4 dB with a real tight figure 8
pattern.  It used open wire line between the elements twisted 180 degrees and
the feedline is connected to the center of the phasing line.  See the ARRL
Antenna books of the last century of about 60 years ago.  I still see them at
the flea markets.  The Z was very low and hard to feed.  End feeding has very
high voltages but should be manageable.  My magic feed line length will have
the same high voltages and Z at the end of the feedline as is at the antenna.
 If matching it is a problem, add a shorted 1/4 wave and tap on to this stub
at a point where a 600 ohm Z is around 1/3rd up from the shorted end.  Create
your own impedance for the feedline.  You can use a version of the "Twin Bulb
SWR Indicator" many used in the last century to check SWR on open wire line.
One can parallel the terminals on RF ammeters on one leg of open wire line
and measure the relative current along the line without cutting it.  When you
can attach the RF ammeter anywhere on the line with no or little current
reading change, your SWR is very low and it called a flat line.  This is
ideal for determining the 600 ohm tap on the shorted 1/4 WL line. Ham Radio
had an article on the 8JK used on different bands with the same length and
spacing.  When and if I ever get time I will do an article on it as I plan to
use it extensively vertically, horizontally and at 45 degrees.  John Kraus of
Ohio State W8JK who is still alive came up with this antenna in the 30's.
K7GCO

In a message dated 6/19/00 12:11:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,