[TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Motor

Charlie Summers w0yg@prolynx.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:20:13 -0000

Folks:

I have a prop pitch motor that I have the following information on:

It was made by Curtis Wright in 1943 and was still in the cosmoline! The
part number is 109964 if that means anything.  It also has a stock number of
87CU-109964-30.  There is a part number 101673 (maybe 101C73 or 101G73 too)
on the top housing and 106C55 on the lower housing.  The diameter of the
splined shaft is 3 inches.  The diameter of the motor gear housing measured
at the bolt circle is about 8 inches.  It is overall about 15 inches long.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know if this is what is known as a small prop pitch or a
large prop pitch?  I have been told those with a 3 inch splined shaft output
are small prop pitch motors whereas the large ones have a 4 inch splined
output shaft.

2.  Does anyone know if this thing will fit inside a US Tower HDX589MDPL?
The rotor shelf is about 11.5 inches as a perpendicular dimension from the
center of one side to the shelf corner on the other side.  The
corresponding measurement on what appears to be the mounting flange of the
prop pitch motor is less than 9.5 inches"

If there is a real prop pitch guru out there please let me know what
additional information I can give you if what is contained here is
incomplete.

Thanks and 73,

Charlie, W0YG..>>