[TowerTalk] Noisy TH7

John Nelson John_Nelson@compuserve.com
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:30:58 -0400

This is my first posting to Tower Talk, and I hope my question isn't too
'newbie'.

I have a TH7 on a 60ft tower. As an antenna it works extremely well, but it
has one drawback -- it 'whistles' badly in almost anything over a few knots
of wind. This is especially upsetting for Madam, who likes to sit in the
garden but finds the howling from the antenna intolerable. I can't say I
particularly care for it myself. It's not even clear to me which part of
the antenna is making the noise, although I presume it's most likely to be
air blowing across the trap drainage holes and exciting some sort of
resonance.

Whatever it might be, can anyone please suggest a fix? Or is wind noise a
generic problem with HF Yagi antennas?

73 John
GW4FRX