[TowerTalk] Antenna Grease--Deficiencies and Remedies

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:39:04 EDT

<<
  Ken,

  When I came to New England from San Jose, one of the locals told me all
  about the silicon grease trick you mentioned so I believed them....for a
  while....However, after a few years, some water apparently did get into the
  connectors one by one and they eventually flashed over. In fact, at 400
  Watts on my 432 MHz EME antenna, the center pin on an expensive 7/8"
  Andrews coax connector had a vaporized center pin after the VSWR had risen
  from a rain storm.

  What I finally did was to rub silicon grease sparingly only on the threads
  of the connector (outside of the coaxial connection) and it indeed
  inhibited the water from getting into the center RF area of the connector.
  Furthermore, when water did occasionally get in, it was easy to remove and
  repair.

  73,  Joe, W1JR   >>

   The connectors tighten tighter, come off easier and still look new with
the silicone grease also. Zero Maintenance--the desired goal.  k7gco