[TowerTalk] Can take-off angle be too low?

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:37:41 EDT

In a message dated 6/29/2000 9:17:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tonno.vahk@hansa.ee writes:

> I would like to hear your opinions about that topic. I have found many
>  contradictory thoughts on it and very few clear and reasoned statements
>  really.
>
>  How important is it to have the ability of running very low elevation
angles
>  in upper HF contesting?

For top contester (gunning for top spots) every fraction of dB and coverage
of as many angles as possible is very important and this is where one can get
edge on the competition (combined with knowledge of propagation, operating
skills, station equipment).
    Stacked antennas give flexibility in switching angles, more antennas,
more choice of angles. Low angles help mainly at the band opening and
closings, but also during the middle of the opening, when some DX stuff is
coming through.
    When I had my stacked Razor Beams
(see some pictures at  <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/ve3bmv/index.htm">VE3BM
V Home</A> )
they gave me 1 to 2 hours jump on propagation and ability to work stuff when
notables like W2PV (with Yagis) and others could not hear any more stations.
    Results in scores? My scores jumped by about 30 - 40% and for the first
time in Canadian history I was able to corner all monoband records on 20 and
up, which were perpetually held by VE6 and VE7s.
    Generally at the height of sunspot cycle, angles are predominantly
higher, at low cycle, they are low. This cycle is low and crazy.
    Unless you have antennas that can play at various angles, you will never
know what you are missing. There is nothing more enjoyable like when sitting
there and working the pileup that your competitors can't hear. (Razors give
the edge!)

Yuri, K3BU, VE3BMV